I went to see the dietitian last week, and I'm so glad that I met with her! I was not sure what to expect, but the appointment went really well. It looks like I've already been eating almost as well as I can, so I'm pretty pleased about that. Before I got pregnant, I knew that the chances of me getting gestational diabetes (since I have PCOS) were pretty high, so I was constantly researching online what I should be eating from the beginning of my pregnancy (and before), so I could prevent any future problems. The "diet" that she recommended for me is actually too much food for me now! That sounds crazy, but I just don't have much of an appetite lately. I'm sure as I get further into my second trimester I'll be glad that I'm "allowed" to eat much more than I am eating now.
I did learn a couple things that I didn't learn during all of my research beforehand. First of all, I'm supposed to eat something before I go to bed. This will help my blood sugar from getting too low overnight, and it will prevent ketones from spilling over into my bloodstream. (This is why they check your urine at each ob-gyn appt. when you're pregnant). Another thing I learned is that if I eat any fruit or something else sweet, I need to eat protein with it to keep my blood sugar from getting too high. At first I didn't like the sound of that, because sometimes all I want is a piece of fruit, and I don't feel like eating anything else with it. Then I found out that eating a handful of almonds with the fruit will work. When she first told me this, I envisioned myself having to eat a piece of chicken every time I wanted to eat some fruit! :)
I was also given a blood sugar monitor, and they showed me how to use it. I must admit that this was quite intimidating to me at first. After practicing several times, it gets easier, though. I've been testing my blood sugar twice a day right now - as soon as I get up in the morning and two hours after eating dinner in the evening. Every test has come back really good so far! It seems like my body is working just the way that it should, unless I'm instructed by a doctor to drink pure sugar as a glucose intolerance test! :)
I feel much better since this appointment, because I'm not scared anymore. This is all so new and definitely unfamiliar territory to me. I am confident that if I continue to eat the best way I know how and take care of my body, I will be ok. God is aware of everything that is going on, and he is watching out for me and the baby. He loves my baby more than I do. :)
This week I'm at the 16 week mark, and I'm realizing that I haven't really enjoyed this pregnancy so far. That's awful!!! I spent the entire first trimester with the whole "miscarriage fear" in the back of my head, and then I got this next scare when I hit my second trimester. I've desperately need to start focusing on enjoying this pregnancy, instead of worrying all the time. This is a happy and joyful time in my life and the lives of my husband and son. I'm going to relax and enjoy it from now on! :)
Thank you, Jesus, that You are in control, and not me. :)
Monday, April 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment