I am participating in a Christian group writing project by Faithful Bloggers. The writing project is based on Psalm 23, and I chose to write my post on Psalm 23:2. This was a fun project, because it was the first time I have really studied this verse in detail.
Psalm 23:2 " He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters."
First, I will look at Psalm 23:2(a). "He makes me lie down in green pastures." As I was thinking about what this verse means to me, I started to think about the life of a mom with young children. My life, specifically! I try to get up around 5:30 a.m. in order to get several things done before my children wake up. Often, I am too tired from not enough sleep the night before, and I don't get up until 6 a.m. This seems like only 1/2 hour, but it is time that I don't seem to ever get back during the day. Having 2 little ones at home all day leaves the house in constant "mess-making mode"! I have so many things that need done during the day, and it is very rare that I accomplish most of what I want to get done. I expect this, though, and that is fine. This is the season of life that I'm in right now!
Let's face it. We're all busy! God wants us to take time to re-charge our batteries, and lie down in His green pastures. He created 6 days for us to work, and 1 for us to rest. I think most of us have the 6 days of working figured out pretty well. It's the 1 day of rest that many of us neglect. I happen to believe that this day of rest does not necessarily need to be on a Sunday (just my personal belief!), but it needs to be at least 1 day out of the week. I admit that I haven't been good at doing this, at all! One day of not cleaning, and I find that my house looks like 2 tornadoes came through! I find it interesting that the verse says, "He makes..." God often needs to slow us down, because we are unwilling to do it on our own. He knows that we all need time to rest, or we will suffer spiritually, physically, and emotionally. We need to rest. True rest can be found in quieting ourselves in prayer and focusing on Him. He will show us how to rest in the green pastures that He has provided for us.
Are you resting in the green pastures that God has provided for you?
Psalm 23:2(b) "He leads me beside still waters."
There are so many things in life that can cause us worry, anxiety, and to feel overwhelmed. Jesus wants us to rest in Him, which is why He leads us to still waters. Still waters are calming. They are refreshing. We all need to feel refreshed now and again. Our minds are constantly "on the go", and this can be as draining as any kind of physical activity. I know that it's really easy for me to feel overwhelmed if I'm not focused on God. For example, my husband is very involved in our church, and he recently started a ministry of his own. As his ministry is getting off of the ground, he is getting busier and busier. I'm very happy for him, because we know that God is behind this. If I'm not careful, though, I can start to feel overwhelmed while thinking about our future. It can be lonely when he's gone so much, and that means longer days with the children by myself. When I start thinking this way, this is a clear sign that I need to let God lead me to the still waters that He has provided for me to rest beside. After resting with Him and gaining God's perspective on the situation, I feel refreshed! We need these still waters that He leads us to. It's so easy to ignore them, but soon we will find ourselves bitter, angry, depressed and burned out.
When you find yourself worrying or feeling lonely, depressed or overwhelmed, where (or who) do you turn to?
Are you resting beside the still waters with Him?
Thank you, Jesus, that you have provided a way for us to truly rest. You know when we need to stop, rest, and be restored by You. You are the only one who can restore us!
Picture credit: worldofstock.com and stallionriders.co.za
Friday, July 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Thank you for that post. This has been a very difficult week for us all, with Josiah being extremely sick. I havent posted much on his blog since him getting sick, but he was extremely bad. Thanks again for the words you wrote. I always read your stuff but rarely reply, but I did want you to know you are making an impact in my life. GOD Bless You!
You're welcome, Heather! I'm still praying and believing for Josiah's healing!
Amy,
Loved this post. I'm a new follower of yours and a total stranger, but I needed this today! Thank you. :)
Heather - So sorry for what you are going through. I'll continue praying for your precious family.
Kelly
KS
(A stranger, but a sister in Christ!)
Thank you, Kelly. I needed it too! :)
I love how you recognize that there are seasons in our lives. One day the children will be grown and it will be just you and the hubby. :)
How thankful I am for our Good Shepherd who does lead us beside still waters. And sometimes that might be a time of prayer while the children are napping.
I also participated in the Faithful Bloggers group writing project. I enjoyed reading your post.
Blessings,
Debbie
Thanks, Debbie. I'll have to check out your post, also!
What a beautiful, thought provoking post - thank you!
I also participated in the project, I wrote about verse six.
Amy,
Thanks for participating in the group writing project.
I really enjoyed your post. I think you are right and that in the first part of the verse, the word "make" is very important. I have found that in my life, if I don't take the time to rest in Jesus, He will make sure I have the time by taking something away.
Post a Comment