What makes you feel secure?
My son was getting ready to start preschool a few months ago, and I was trying to re-arrange my daily schedule since our mornings would be so different. As I was praying about this, I kept hearing silence. I even set one day aside to specifically pray about it and, again, I heard nothing. I was getting frustrated, but I figured I just needed to wait on God.
The weekend after Joshua started preschool, we went out of town to visit my husband’s family. While we were in the car one afternoon, I distinctly heard God speak to my heart. Out of nowhere, God told me that He didn't want me to re-arrange my schedule. He wanted me to stop using it all together! Now for those of you who don’t need (or want) a schedule, you may be wondering what the big deal is. For those of you who are like me, though, it may cause a bit of panic to set in when thinking about letting go of something that is so instrumental in helping you stay organized!
At first I thought that it couldn’t have been God telling me that. He would never want me to get rid of my schedule…right? Wrong. That was God speaking to me, and I realized it even more as the weekend progressed, and I had more time for it to settle into my heart. I finally began to realize what He was trying to tell me.
Instead of leaning on God, I was leaning on my schedule.
Now I’m not saying schedules are bad, and I’m not telling everyone that God wants you to get rid of your schedules! I just want you to hear the message that God has been slowly but surely getting across to me. He caused me to realize that I found security and stability in having a schedule. I have to say that I was caught off guard by this at first. It wasn't one of the "obvious" places that I thought I would place my security. But it's true. If I had a schedule in place...I felt at rest. If I didn't...I felt anxious - really anxious. Although I know that I will never get everything done that I set out to accomplish for the day, it seems like I was forgetting that God is ultimately the One who helps me in accomplishing everything I need to do...NOT my schedule.
Our security is supposed to be found in Jesus only!
I gave up my schedule (as frightening as it was), and I decided to trust God. Let me tell you that even though I knew God told me to do this, I still felt like I was being irresponsible! It wasn’t easy. That was back in September, and I still do not have a set schedule for my day. I don't think that He's expecting me to go the rest of my life without having one again, but He's teaching me things now that I couldn't learn if I went back to the way things were. It's actually kind of freeing. He will help me accomplish everything that needs to be done. When everything during the day seems to be falling part, God does not want me to make a more effective schedule. He wants me to lean on Him!
Is there something that would cause you to panic if God told you to give it up?
Jesus, you correct us, because You love us! Thank you for helping me to trust You every minute of the day. I want to lean on You, and only You! You will not leave me when things get tough. You are my Rock!
Picture credit: lisapraises.blogspot.com

4 comments:
Your prayer really sums up what our thoughts should be regarding allowing God full access and control of our lives. He is an ever loving God. he has promised to never leave us or forsake us.
I read your post on baby Josiah and visited the link.
He is such a precious little one.
May our Sovereign Lord glorify Himself in the life of that precious child. He is a divine healer and only HE can heal Josiah.
May Josiah be at complete peace and may his little body rest in the comfort of the Holy Spirit. May the Lord's prefect will be done in his life. In the name of Jesus.
Thank you for praying, Sydney.
I have been struggling with this especially since starting seminary. Each week I keep saying I need to change the schedule or make it better and still I am left feeling frustrated and annoyed at the end of the day. I never thought of it like me need to just lean into God. Hmmmm I need to sit on this thought and pray. Thank you for getting me to think outside of the box.
I found your blog through a Faithful Bloggers post. Now following you. Come visit mine.
Post a Comment