Lately I have noticed that my 3-year-old does something very peculiar when he's eating something that he really enjoys. I was watching him one day while he was eating crackers. He absolutely LOVES crackers! When he started eating the ones that I gave him, I noticed that he wasn't even really enjoying them. He was shoving them in his mouth as quick as he could so he could get more. When he got more, he still had his eyes on the ones that he didn't have while he was eating the ones in front of him. He wasn't able to enjoy what he was already given, because he was too busy looking forward to what he was going to get next.
As I sat there thinking about how funny he was being, it dawned on me that I often do the same thing! I don't necessarily do this with food, but with every day activities and life in general. Being a stay at home mom isn't the most glamorous job in the world! It's easy to get lost in laundry, dishes and the day-to-day routine of life. I often find myself "dreaming" about the days when my children are in school. I start to wonder what type of job I'll have again someday, how I can be more involved in my church, etc. I dream of days that there aren't 10 million toys all over the floor and crying children. I know that there's nothing wrong with thinking about my future, but I often find myself unable to enjoy what's going on NOW, because I'm wishing for the future to come. I've been neglecting to enjoy the blessings that God has already placed in my life.
I looked at my little girl the other day, and I realized that time is going by so quickly! I've been praying that God shows me how to enjoy my life and my family more. I don't want to look back someday and realize that I wished away some of the best years of my life. I pray that God shows me how to pay attention and recognize the blessings that I have each and every day - even if it's hidden in the "routine" of daily life.
Are you finding the blessings in the season of life you're in today?
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, I can totally relate. I eat crackers that way too.
Post a Comment