After my son was born, I started to put on an incredible amount of weight for no apparent reason. Before I got pregnant, I was at a healthy weight. When my son turned 1-year old, I actually weighed almost 20 lbs. MORE than I did when I was 9 months pregnant! (Not good for the self-esteem!) After several doctor's visits and blood tests, it was finally discovered that I have PCOS and insulin resistance. PCOS is hard to diagnose, because it's symptoms mimic many other things. Maybe that's why it took a year for my doctor to figure out what was wrong! There are so many terrible symptoms of PCOS, and I am fortunate to only have a few. PCOS is a metabolic disorder. Basically, it wreaks havoc on your hormones which can cause fertility problems, weight gain, difficulty losing weight, etc. When I was diagnosed, my doctor suggested that I start taking Metformin, a medication that many people with Type II diabetes take. She told me that it would help me lose the weight and get my body back to normal. At first, I decided to not take the medication, because I wanted to try the weight loss on my own. I followed a very strict low-carb diet (necessary for insulin resistance) for about a month, and I lost nothing. I actually kept gaining. After that, I decided to start taking the Metformin. After working VERY hard to lose weight, I lost 22 lbs! Unfortunately, I gave up soon after that. I had two people ask me if I was pregnant, and that really threw me into a tailspin. One of those people was a neighbor who asked me this right as I was getting home from working out at the gym! Well, a year has gone by since then, and I have not lost any more weight. I did put 8 pounds back on, but at least it wasn't more!
Being diagnosed with PCOS has been difficult for me. I hate being overweight. I hate to get my picture taken now, because I just don't look like myself anymore. Nothing fits me right, and I miss feeling like "me". I need to remember that I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me! (Phil 4:13)
PCOS is the #1 cause of infertility. My husband and I want to have another child, so I'm learning to start speaking out against this "fact" and believe that Jesus will heal me. I don't need to be listening to "facts", I need to be listening to The Truth! That has been hard to do, when I have doctors telling me the contrary; but, I know that God can heal me, and he WANTS to heal me!
On December 31st I started the weight loss part of my journey. I have lost 3 additional lbs. since then, for a total of 17 lbs (My doctor would like me to lose a total of 58 lbs). I'm going to keep pressing on and not let myself feel defeated if I have a bad day or if the weight loss isn't going as quickly as I want it to. I know that this all glorifies God, because my body is HIS temple.
"Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received (as a Gift) from God? You are not your own. You were bought with a price (purchased with a preciousness and paid for, made His own). so then, honor God and bring glory to him in your body (1 Cor. 6:19-20 Amp.)."
I am healed, in Jesus' name, and I can do All things through Christ Who strengthens me!
2 comments:
Hi Amy,
I just wanted you to know that your story is very inspiritional. I too have started my journey to a happier and healthier life in which God intended for me. I will keep you in my prayers for strength and endurance. May God Bless you. Keep up the good work.
Thank you for your encouraging comment and prayers! It's wonderful, because about 2 weeks after I wrote that post, I found out I was pregnant!!! I'm so excited for this wonderful blessing that God has given us! I will be sure to check out your blog, also!
Post a Comment