I have a growing passion to help others find freedom in discovering who God designed them to be. Since learning who I am in Christ, I have found peace (where I had turmoil) and freedom (where I had bondage). Jesus came to save you and set you free!

As of March 2011, I am no longer updating this blog. Click below to check out my new blog...


Saturday, January 23, 2010

Time Killers


Modern technology is great, right?  We have so many ways to communicate with people all around the world in just a matter of seconds.  We have e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, texting, among so many other things.  I was pondering something the other day, though...

How much more time would I have with my kids if I wasn't on the internet during the day?

How many more things would I be able to accomplish?

...and the most important question:

How much more time would I spend with God if I didn't spend so much time on the internet?  (ouch!)

I'm not saying that the internet is bad.  I know that computers allow some people the ability to work from home, which is great!  The information that the internet allows us access to can be wonderful and very useful.  On the other hand, it can be a HUGE time-killer if you allow it to be.  (That's really what I'm focusing on, here.)

I started blogging about a year ago.  At least 3 or 4 times over this past year, I have needed to take a break from the "blogging world".  I love to write on my blog, but I only write about 1 post a week. There are several blogs that I love, and reading them can take a lot of time if I'm not careful.  I have cut down on the blogs I read to just a handful for this reason.  It's so easy to get on just to check my e-mail, and then I find myself on it for an entire hour.  When the day is over, it's surprising how much time these things can "eat up" if I start keeping track.

I suppose everyone has something in their lives that might be used in excess, if time on the internet isn't an issue.  The TV, for example, is something that I once had on all hours of the day.  We cancelled our cable a couple of years ago, and I'm so glad.  To some, this may seem a little extreme, but it wasn't for us.  My husband and I both found ourselves watching TV shows endlessly.  I would also have the TV on just for noise when no one was home.  It was always on, even if no one was watching it.  When we got rid of the cable, it opened up so much more time in our day.  Not to mention,  it got a lot quieter around the house and saved us a lot of money!

I don't believe that God is against the internet, but I'm sure He is against spending too much time on it when we could be spending that time with Him, other people, or even just our own daily responsibilities. 

Ephesians 5:16-17 "Making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."

Is there anything in your life that has been used in excess that is taking away time from God or other precious loved ones or responsibilities?

Picture credit given to:  Ikoolers.wordpress.com
Share

1 comment:

Ronel said...

What a perfect post for me today!! This past week I have cancelled all my games on facebook and began spending more time in prayer and writing... he has given me much to be thankful for and I like all the time I now have to live!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails